Sunday, December 15, 2013

The 5 Stages of Waiting for Labor!

5 MORE DAYS! 0 WEEKS! 4 DAYS AFTER TODAY!

How do I feel about inducing labor? I think it's all up to the Mama, the doctor, and the situation. I don't believe that anyone should be induced before 40 Weeks, but some doctors induce as a "rule" at 39 Weeks. I've heard inductions are harder on mom and baby, but ours went extremely smooth with Anna, so I feel very comfortable doing it again with Chayton. Plus, we are very serious about having our doctor there, and she will be on vacation for Christmas past the 20th. It's all about choice, ladies, so do your research, and trust your doctor's advice (with common sense in mind) because that's what you pay them for. Happy Laboring!


The 5 Stages of Waiting for Labor

GET OUT, BABY!

I had pretty decent contractions last night, and I am in serious discomfort, which I am not looking forward to for the next four days (I got like NO sleep last night)!

The five stages of waiting for labor have literally been the same as the five stages of grief for me:

I'm at the point where I'm talking out loud to Little Man, as well as my uterus, and I'm sure that with all my excitement, anxiety, and frustration, I sound like a complete crazy person!

Stage 1: Denial

It all started with shock: I can't believe I haven't had this baby yet! Aren't second-time moms supposed to have their babies earlier? How is it that I'm 4 cm dilated, his head is so far down in the birth canal that the doctor has to reach around it to check my cervix, and I still haven't had anything real happen yet?

Stage 2: Anger

I'm so angry at my uterus! How dare you keep him in there when with as far down as he has moved and the feel of his kicks, I KNOW he's ready to get out of there and finally meet his Mommy, Daddy, and big sister! I'm ready to hold him!

I'm also angry at my mobility (or lack thereof), as I roll over in bed (correction: attempt to roll over in bed). I do hurdles to get over Anna's baby gates; I can't get off the floor when I sit down to play with Anna; I have a serious lack of energy to do anything that doesn't involve feeding or changing Anna (...and I don't want my family to suffer because of it!).

Stage 3: Bargaining

...With my body, I guess?

Pleeeeeeeeeease let me go into labor today!

....today passes into tomorrow...

Pleeeeeeeeeease let me go into labor today! If I walk until my feet want to fall off, will you let me go into labor today? Pleeeeeeeeeease!

...today passes into tomorrow. Press repeat.

Stage 4: Depression

I don't want to get out of bed. I do anyway because there are things that need to be done and a baby that has to be cared for. I troll The Bump threads and new mommy Facebook profiles and read the birth stories and stare longingly at the adorable little newborns. I temporarily retreat back to Stage 2 (see: Anger) and want to slap them all for having their bundles of joy already. Instead, I just feel sad, and resort back to Stage 3 (see: Bargaining).

Stage 5: Acceptance

We've finally arrived. 

I only have 5 more days (a whole heck of a lot less than 280 days), and D-Day will be here before I know it. If he wants to come early he will, but he's not ready yet (and everything is already planned out for that time frame, so it would be a whole lot more hectic if we had to do everything on the fly). I still have a few days to enjoy life without a newborn and to just appreciate being the parent to a gorgeous little girl (who deserves all the love and attention in the world).

Be it today, tomorrow, or Friday, we have an induction scheduled, and he will be in my arms by the end of this week. The end (and the beginning) is in sight, and pregnancy can't last forever. Furthermore, I'm sure I'll miss it when it's gone because this might be the last time I ever do it. The last time I feel my baby from the inside, still just mine, and so close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Blue Sky Days! XOXO, Kyrstie.